Friday 13 March 2009

Watchmen Review


Last night I went to see 'Watchmen.' Now I should mention that I read the graphic novel and absolutely loved it, I am a total Watchmen geek and I've been waiting months and months for this movie.
I wasn't disappointed, it was a fantastic film. Zack Snyder has really outdone himself, his direction is top notch. The visuals are completely perfect, it looks exactly like the novel which is a truly remarkable achievement, it blew me away how good it looked . The casting was perfect, Dr Manhattan had the right level of detached melancholy, The Comedian was intense and unstable and even had the scar and after initial doubts about Nite Owl I was surprised to see him looking almost exactly like Dan in the novel. Jackie Earle Haley as Rorscach was an absolute revelation he looked as if he had stepped straight out of the pages of the novel and he inhabited the character so thoroughly he actually took my breath away. The soundtrack was amazing (apart from Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' placed in a very inappropriate scene.) Snyder was very loyal to the novel with only a few minor details changed until the ending which differed substantially from the novel; I won't spoil it but I completely understand the change as the original ending would require more build up which would mean a longer movie and also more confusion for those unfamiliar with the novel. Which brings me to the only issue with the film, if you are not familiar with the novel, it is more than likely you will get confused as Snyder does cater for the hardcore fans.
SO my verdict is a wholhearted 10/10 !!
Ruth. (Poster courtesy of www.imdb.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment