Sunday 19 April 2009

Ruth Sport's Desk- mixed bag

Lots of sports related things today.
1. I have been very slow on my Champions league updates. Arsenal won 4-1 on aggregate against Villareal (wonderful games as well, a real joy) and now play Man U. The other semi is Barcelona- Chelsea with Barcelona especially impressive winning 5-1 on aggregate against Bayern Munich.
2. Premier League. After being waaaay behind Aston Villa in a worrying fifth position. Arsenal are now on a wonderful unbeaten run of (I think at last count) 18 unbeaten games with a 7 point advantage in a solid fourth and catching on third with all the big teams to play.
3. Tennis. Rafael Nadal has JUST (almost literally) won a record breaking fifth title at Monte Carlo meaning a very very good start to clay season. Vamos!
4. FA Cup. whoops nearly forgot. Arsenal unfortunately lost out at the semi final stage to Chelsea yesterday. Both teams played badly. I nearly wept. Everton and man U are playing the second semi final as I speak.
5. Moto GP is back back back. Hurrah my Sundays now have more structure. First race in Quatar was won by Casey Stoner (not my favourite rider.) For those interested (ie no one) my favourite riders are Dani Pedrosa, Valentino Rossi and Jorge Lorenzo (in that order.) Dani because he is tiny and sounds like Speedy Gonzalez, Val because I love his accent and surreal life (he once gave a post race interview focussing entirely on his dog little Guido) and Jorge Lorenzo because of his strange penchant for Chupa Chups.
Phew. And goodniiiiight sports fans!

No comments:

Post a Comment